Thursday, January 22, 2009

Attack of the killer Sapo!!!!!!

I have been meaning to post this story but I just keep forgeting.





So I have now remembered, and asked my sister how to spell Sapo, and here is the story for you all to enjoy.





A Sapo, for those of you who are wondering, is a large frog. A very large frog. And they seem to be everywhere here in Paraguay. I had encountered a few in the first month in Paraguay, but it was ok, because they avoided me and I avoided them. However on my first night in Villa Hayes that changed.



After putting my room in order, I was called to supper (cena). Leaving my bedroom door open behind me so my room could cool down after being closed up for the day (it can get quite hot in my room during the day). After cena and socializing I headed back to my room to collect my toothbrush and toothpaste to brush my teeth for the night. Upon entering my room I was shocked to find that it was already occupied! I think the poor sapo was just as frightened as I after I turned on the lights. It quickly hopped behind my dresser, and I quickly hurried back to the main house to ask for help, in what was then very limited espaƱol.
My new sister Ruth came to the rescue and we attempted to coax the sapo out from behind the dresser. After half an hour of coaxing we decided that unfortunatly for me, the sapo did not want to come out. So we pushed the dresser against the wall and trapped it in. Effectivally leaving me and sapo in the room for the night. I spent my first night in my new room terrified that the gigantic frog would escape it´s prison and jump onto my bed.

It didn´t and the next morning I pulled the dresser away from the wall and left the door open all morning. It left sometime during the day and every night I will see either it or one if it´s siblings consuming flies and mosquitoes or other bugs. I am no longer frighened of these sapos and am actually quite thankful that they eat so many mosquitoes, it is quite rare for me to get many bug bites in Villa Hayes.

10 comments:

Jolien said...

hahahaha! killer frogs!

Becca said...

not killer, just very scary, when you first see them

Unknown said...

Oh Poor Becky!!

How big are these frogs, 1 hand? 2 hands? Do you have a picture??? Do they have fangs?

Poor Becky ;P

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh Becca!! I would totally die. That story right there is why I have never wanted to go to Paraguay. You had to tell it just as I was developing a desire to go! I'm terrified of frogs. I don't think I'd be able to sleep in that room ever. I'd be too scared to sleep.

Krista said...

What a great roommate story!

Craig Mast said...

I wish I had sapos to protect me from the demon mosquitos infesting my room...

Lyz said...

I think he was just "hoppy" to see you, Becca :)Great story!!

Anonymous said...

You better get a close up picture of this thing - I want proof!!
Love Mom
PS don't even think of bringing any baby sapo's home!!

Krista said...

I would have liked to be a fly on the wall to watch this scene! Of course out of reach of the sapo.

steve said...

Great story Becca.
It sounds like you're really taking a liking to the excitment of your journey.

We should catch up soon.
Are you able to talk on the phone or it crazy expensive?