Tuesday, November 18, 2008

New Family, New Bed, New Church, New People, New Everything

The month of living with the Molina´s ended just over a week ago. I have been situating myself in my new family and new church for the last week. While I realize that in a month I will be just as comfortable with this new family and new church as I was with the Molina´s family and Emmaus, it is hard having to start over, learn new names, new people and new patterns of speach. Not everyone talkes slowly or pauses to let you think over what they just said.



Today is my sister Ruth´s birthday, she´s turning 24 which makes her just over 2 months older than me. Ruth teaches kindergarten and grade one at her mother´s school which is from preschool to grade 1. Next is Romina (18) who is in university and Rebeca (13) who is in high school. Parent´s Miguel and Alba are both teachers. Life is busy here in the Dominguez household. It has been decided that Rebeca is Becki and I (Rebecca) am Becca. However it still happens that the general Rebecca is used and I answer everytime, most times the call is followed by a Becki or a Rebecita, which means that the call was not for me.



Tuesdays and Thursdays will be my days of teaching here in Villa Hayes. I have aproximatly 16 students and 6 hours of teaching each day. I am not exactly sure how this will turn out as I have very few students in my morning and afternoon class, I may have to do some shuffeling of students. Today was my first day of classes, I tested students on their reading, writing, listening and speaking skills. Many students have already had some teaching, some basic others advanced. It will be dificult to reach all the students where they are at.

My next class starts in fifteen minutes so I need to go prepare.

Becca

15 comments:

Jolien said...

You're teaching! I hope it went well :D I'm sure it did.

That's hilarious about the Becki/Becca thing... note to self, no matter HOW much you love a name, don't name two of your children the same ;)

It sounds like things are going well, though, I'm glad!

We have a light dusting of snow on the ground and Christmas music is playing on the radio... Winter is here! But it is frigid and my hands are icicles :P Don't enjoy your warmth too much!

Jo

Becca said...

It´s actually been really cold recently in the high teens and low twenties.
But I do miss the snow.
This will truly be a Christmas without snow.
Never mind those Southern Ontario green Christmas´s. This green Christmas will be complete with fresh mango´s from the tree in our front yard.

Lyz said...

Peace in your changes...hoping each on brings new adventures too!

Krista said...

Enjoy the newness!

Anonymous said...

Do your "new house parents" speak any english? How old are your students? You'll have to play the game - when I go on Vacation, I will pack ....with the variation of When I go to the MWconference I will say...
Maybe someone else has a suggestion for word games they could play?
Love MOM

Unknown said...

Hello Rebecca

I'm sure Janice will have some "more simple" word games to share with you but she isn't home right now (also teaching), or even sing alongs could be fun, have you tried to encorporate some singing? You do have a great voice.

TTFN
Ed

(is TTFN to old school for you?)

Jolien said...

Are you going to decorate your mango tree??

Anonymous said...

I agree, starting classes and placing students is rough at first - you´re not alone! I hope you find ways to make it all work - I´m sure you will. Does the name thing in your house mean that if we accidentally call you Beki you won´t respond to us?

Anonymous said...

Hey Becca,

You should definitely do some singing. How old are most of your students? You can teach them even simple hymns and then take out words and have them fill in the blanks. It's actually quite fun. Good luck with your teaching! It's always a challenge to reach every student at their ability level, but that's the great thing about community- everyone can help each other based on what they've learned. Best of luck!
Jan

Becca said...

No mom my new ¨house parents¨do not speak any english other that the basic ¨hello how are you¨. My students range in age from 12 to 30

No Eddie TTFN is not to old for me.

¿Jo, with what shall I decorate the mango tree? snowflakes :)?

Scott, I do respond to Becky, that´s all anyone calls me back home, no matter how hard I try to reform them.

Thanks for the idea´s Janice, that´s perfect. I was already thinking of teaching a few of the praise and worship songs that they know in español and teaching in english.


Becca

Anonymous said...

Hi Becca, I've been meaning to write and wish you well. One hint about teaching (this is actually not in response to this blog entry but a previous one) is to teach your students to ask YOU questions (usually it is the teacher asking questions) and this makes them have to listen carefully to your response, so that they learn how to answer similar questions posed to them (preferably with more than a yes or no). Greta W.

Craig Mast said...

It sounds like you're getting settled in... finding a way to accomodate everyone's level of English is probably going to be one of the biggest obstacles this year.

Krista said...

I hope you do well with teaching so many hours in a day. Best of luck!

Jolien said...

Bah, just saw that you responded to my post on here...

Definitely need to cut out snowflakes and decorate your mango tree with them.

and SOME of us DO call you Becca!

Love as usual,

Jo

Tyler D. said...

Well María still considers you family .