Radical Journey is a program that provides experiences for cross cultural learning, intentional faith formation, leadership development and service in international locations. The first month is spent in Chicago setting the back ground for the upcoming learning and development. This year there are 16 participants. 3 going to Sweden, 3 to England, 4 to Brazil and 6 to Paraguay. I am among the group heading to Paraguay.
For the length of the Orientation we are living together in a house. 16 young adults living in one house. It has been an interesting experience so far, we are learning about each other and how to get along.
However everyone has their quirks and how they like things; so we need to learn to compromise and how to try new things.
I'd like to thank everyone for their encouragements and prayers regarding community living.
As an answer to Ed's question, cooking and cleaning has been set up by teams, so for example today, Paraguay was on breakfast, Brazil lunch, and Sweden supper. Every team has different areas to keep clean in the house.

7 comments:
So what have people noticed about you?
What is the most annoying thing about someone else?
Have you figured out a cooking & cleaning schedule. Is it divided by guys vs. girls? Or is it not an even gender split?
Ahh, the 'real' communal life.
I was just talking about community with my friend from Epiphaneia. I was saying that we in church are proud of our 'community spirit' but by community we mean being nice to each other and smiling when we pass on Sunday morning.
You're finding out quickly that 'real' community means sharing our lives with each other, which is much more intimate, difficult, and ultimately beautiful than our experience of community.
May God give you the grace to be Christ to those people, and may you see Jesus in them as well.
Hey Becca!
Living together with so many young adults must be both challenging and entertaining! Have you made any special connections with certain individuals in your group yet? Hopefully more so with the young adults going to Paraguay with you!
So, what's a typical day like for you right now?
Thinkin' about you everyday!! Thanks for the updates on your blog, by the way. It's great to stay connected!
You are right, difference reigns in the house!
Oi, community living... Steve's right, its the hardest and most beautiful thing. I'm praying for you as you are with this group of people. Keep your eyes open for ways that God is revealing Himself through each person, I'd love to hear about it!
Love ya!
Hey Rebecca! Am I one of the loved or one of the annoying ones? ;) 5 more days!
I think the correctly coined phrase would be "the Mennonite Real World!" :)
Post a Comment